Here are some of things I have heard or been accused of since I joined:
- I must be a fake profile, "I am interested and I do have a pic but because of the number of fakes, I have to make sure. Let me know if you are real and I will send you a pic."
- Uh, thanks? I guess? I never did get to see a pic - not that I asked.
- Another take on the fake profile, "Yeah, this cannot be a real profile. You must be some 400 lbs. dude living in his mom's basement and laughing his ass off at all the responses you are getting."
- Giving this guy a chance because he's pretty funny.
- I've had a long conversation about the Oxford Comma.
- No seriously that was his opening line (eye rolling).
- I've been given numbered lists of questions to answer.
- Seriously, I hate essays please don't make talking to you into a chore.
- One guy said all he knew about Computer Science was "... that department always smells like a men's locker room."
- Um, really? That is supposed to make me want to talk to you? Did you just miss the part where I said I studied CS in school? So ... you think I smell like a men's locker room?
- And one of my favorites: "P.S. I wouldn't have used so many parenthetical comments, but this thing doesn't allow footnotes."
- Wait, you need footnotes to introduce yourself? Also, there were triply nested parenthesis ... ugh!
- Also, I've been challenged on my nerdiness, "You say you're nerdy, but you don't look or seem nerdy. Let's hear what nerd qualities you have before I hand out the nerd goddess title :)"
- Wait, did you actually read my profile? People are more likely to stop a conversation to inject how nerdy I am, and this guy wants me to "prove" that I'm nerdy? Let me just find my nerd card ... I think it's in here some where ... oh yes it was hiding between Star Trek and Big Bang Theory.
I'm not convinced this is going to work out any better than other attempts at dating, but at least there is an entertainment factor. At least I don't have to worry about offending these guys when I start laughing at the ridiculousness of it all.